The Carrousel international du film de Rimouski enriches our youth by promoting the moving image as an art form, an educational tool, and a means of expression. Through its activities and events, the Carrousel represents a gateway to the world, raising viewers’ awareness and stimulating creativity.
The Carrousel international du film de Rimouski pursues the following goals :
- Promoting the Quebec, Canadian and international youth cinema in its diversity of genres, approaches and content-delivery media.
- Supporting innovation by providing stimulating professional advancement opportunities for film, television and new media artists and craftspeople.
- Introducing the young and the young at heart to the process of cinematic creation and production.
- Contributing to the development of an international network that promotes broader access to youth content.
- Participating in the cultural life of Rimouski and in the development of the Quebec's cinematic industry.
The Carrousel international du film de Rimouski endorses four values that guide its actions :
- The conviction that the access to art and culture enriches the community.
- The commitment to support the education of the youth by mobilizing the strengths of the educational, the cultural, the economic and the political sectors.
- The determination to foster innovation through creativity and openness to the world.
- The acknowledgement of experimentation as an educational tool for the transmission of knowledge.
Back in September 1983, a group of like minded individuals from Rimouski launched a project that would soon become a must for the families of the area : a weekend of cinema dedicated to young people, with film screening and workshops. Two professionals of the film industry participated in this first edition : André Melançon and Danyèle Patenaude, respectively director and screenwriter of La guerre des tuques, a trademark of Quebec youth cinema. The Carrousel international du film de Rimouski was only just beginning!
Little by little, the event grew and acquired an international reputation. Many foreign festivals, including Cannes Écrans Junior, now call on the expertise of the Carrousel for the elaboration of their programming. Over time, the Carrousel has developed its film education component.
After nearly 38 years of existence, at the top of its notoriety and strong of its deep roots in the Quebec film landscape, the Carrousel International Film Festival of Rimouski now makes sure to renew itself in order to always stay at the forefront of cultural trends for a long time to come. In addition to its quality programming and educational activities, the Carrousel has recently decided to add to its activities a creative residency and workshop program, the Volet Pro, intended for professionals.